Never thought I'd be doing this...

Well, this is a first for me. I've resisted blogging for so long, hoping, I guess, that the medium would be just another passing fad. Ah, wrong again, it would seem.

Why "Bricks Without Straw"?

First, because if there's a hard way to do something, I'll probably find it. You see, in old-time brick-making, you could not make strong bricks without adding organic material like straw. When Pharaoh tells the Israelites they must gather their own straw, and still produce the same output of bricks every day, Moses complains, but the complaint resolves nothing. The idiom "bricks without straw" implies having to do something without appropriate resources.

Second, when we were forming Metaformix Information Systems Inc. back in 1999, "Bricks From Straw Software" was one of the proposed names. So, while that wasn't really a saying in its own right, the idea behind it was that having "the right straw" we could help you "make bricks" more easily. Ah, great idea... but no, we hadn't the "right straw" to do that.

Third, Life is a bit of a "Bricks without Straw" experience. We are never really sure that we are given the right tools to get through it. Often, we don't have that particular skill we need in that particular situation, so it's all just so damn hard.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to be blogging about here - probably things that interest me on any particular day. That may range from art, music, writing, ethics, philosophy, religion, software, publishing, reading.... I might actually be one of those people who has trouble focusing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zombies? What Zombies?