Touchy Kobo Touch Doesn't Sync

I've been using the Kobo Wireless since Christmas 2010 when my sister gave me one. I had some issues getting it to start up properly, so when my wife presented me with a Kobo Touch today, I expected I'd have a few issues as well.

Not surprisingly, I did.


My Kobo desktop software was installed already, so the first thing I did was start it up. I plugged in the Kobo Touch to the USB port, and then tried to Sync my library. I waited about four minutes without anything happening on either the Kobo or the desktop app, before deciding that it wasn't going to do anything. So, I ejected the Kobo, unplugged it, and tried again. Same result.

On the third attempt, after looking at the included pamphlet, I shut down the desktop app, plugged in the Kobo Touch, then started up the desktop app.  Same result.

So, I perused the online help (which is so generic as to be unhelpful), and then tried again. However, this time, I did things slightly differently -- and it worked!

So here's the steps you need to follow if you're having syncing difficulty.

  1. Close your Kobo desktop and disconnect your eReader.
  2. Download and install the Kobo desktop app from the Kobo website. You don't need to first uninstall your existing desktop app.
  3. The install prompts you to plug in the eReader, and syncs it as part of the install. You will be prompted to log into your existing Kobo account, too.

Voila!

Nowhere in help does it say that for existing Kobo users, you have to reinstall the desktop app.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zombies? What Zombies?