Creature Tech... Meh...

Creature Tech
by Doug TenNapel

My rating: 3 out of 5

Recently I was handed a copy of Creature Tech to read, and after flipping through it, I did look forward to sitting down with it.

But while I have enjoyed Doug TenNapel's art ever since the Earthworm Jim video game, I was not overly impressed by either the story or the characters in Creature Tech. I did not believe Katy's desire to be saved and "made whole", for example, and I thought that the symbiont was far too similar to Alien's face-hugger.

The inciting incident (the arrival of the space eels) went virtually nowhere, so the wrap-up with the revivification of the mummified alien and departure by space eel seemed, well, boring and anticlimactic. I did not agree with the foreword's claim of how cinematic this graphic novel was, certainly no more so than others in the genre. It seemed to be just an average book, by a truly wonderful artist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zombies? What Zombies?