My Musical History

My short story, History of Early Music is set to appear in the November issue of Hobo Pancakes. This is a nearly-entirely fictional account of my young love affair(s) and music, guaranteed to not contain more that 10% truth.

I wrote History early in 2009, and although it came close to acceptance a couple of times, it only found its current home more than two years after it was first submitted to a publication (which was, for the record, Taddle Creek).

The story (in its submitted form) contains several musical excerpts which I wrote specifically for the story, being somewhat inspired by the musical fragments that appeared in Margaret Laurence's The Diviners, as well as my own early musical compositions.

The other inspirational source for the story was Philip Roth's Portnoy's Complaint, a brilliant novel of sexual self-gratification, frustration and guilt - not to mention neurotic family relationships - in other words, a book that has everything any reader would want in a novel.

Check back later for a link to the story!

Comments

  1. The story was posted, but with problems - missing graphics which actually kind of destroyed the flow. I may just post it on a page here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Zombies? What Zombies?